Monday, May 10, 2010

One afternoon last week I sent Brent off to pick up Kennon from play practice. Kennon came through the door first about 20 minutes later calling out, "Mom, Dad brought you home a Mother's Day Present". Then here came Brent carrying in. . . a large part of the side of my van. 
My mother's day present is still sitting down in the basement. Brent buffed it, then spray painted it trying to hide the damage the post office guard rail inflicted on it.  Now he just has to figure out how to stick it back on my van.

Until then, we don't have anything decent to pick Kennon up from school in. The other day we picked her up in the Buick. I was on the way home from rescuing Brent who called with a flat tire on his bike. When he opened the trunk to put his bike in, he found it full of moving boxes and his golf clubs. The front seats were full of children. Somehow we fit in everything in either the trunk or around us up front. He tied the trunk half closed with the only thing he could find - an old greasy towel ( he always seems to need one of those on board). Then it was off to pick up Kennon with the clubs and bike hanging out the back. When Kennon came out the school door she found Caroline hanging out the window hollering at Kennon's friends. Kennon took one look at the packed car, bursting at the seams and said, "Is this for real, Or did you guys do this on purpose?" Then she jumped in quickly and demanded we get out of there quick, and "Caroline, stop yelling out the window's at everyone!"

I actually sympathized,  though it was hard to tell through my laughter, and decided that in similar situations in the future I will remember to park around the corner and walk up to get her. But we are moving anyway, so it didn't hurt her life too much in the grand scheme of things, Right?

Brent just saw me posting this and went down to apply another coat on his mother's day present. Maybe I will be able to post some after pictures later today.

Speaking of our van, Marcus got locked in yesterday for a 1/2 hour after we arrived home from church. We were all busy hauling stuff in and Marcus is usually the first thing that all of us want to haul but somehow this time he was FORGOTTEN. I came in, changed my clothes, and was instructed to stay upstairs and read the paper. Brent was fixing lunch with the kids this Sunday.

I got nervous after hearing him try to solicit some help down below and decided it would be more fun to join him. After starting in, I finally took a second to take stock of where my children were. All the girls were there, but no one seemed to have a clue where Marcus was. Brent figured I had put him down for a nap. That's when we realized that no one had seen him since we arrived home. So out we rushed to the car, and there he was. Cheeks totally stained with tears, and all buckled up. He wasn't going anywhere. Luckily this happened on a freezing cold Mother's Day (we even had a few snowflakes) and the only thing injured was his faith in his mother. He kept telling me, "I was screaming for you Mom." I hugged him for a long time after that and decided for now on he will be the first thing that comes in.

4 comments:

Chelsea said...

I love your posts Kashann. This one is one of my favorite. I'm cracking up about you picking Kennon up in the Buick.

Poor, poor Marcus.

Laney said...

those are possibly the best two stories I have read in a very long time. poor little marcus. and poor kennon.

Stephanie Evans said...

Oh Kashann.... reading your stories reminds me so much of MY family! I think I should share some of my stories with Kennon- it might console her a bit. When I was growing up my mom drove an old, orange suburban (old fashioned even for the 80's) and she'd screetch over speed bumps in it while driving next to the playground to drop us off. And sometimes she'd roll down the windows and holler out to the boys we liked while honking the horn and laughing her head off. My sister and I spent quite a bit of time on the floor of that old car.

Also, one hot, Arizona Sunday we all rushed into church late and it wasn't until taking the sacrament that my mom realized my little 3yr old brother was missing. She ran out to the suburban to find him stripped of shoes and shirt, dripping in sweat, pretending to drive the car, completely unfazed. She asked him why he wasn't scared. He said he knew we would come back for him when the sun went down (we had 3pm church and it was dusk/dark by the time it got our) Boys are pretty resilient.

PS, my mom occasionally has looked at blogs on my link list and said she liked yours quite a bit. I think it's because she can relate :)

Rachel said...

Not only are your stories hilarious--but you are a darn good writer!