Saturday, November 1, 2008

Dr Casper and his Candy Tax


Back on the farm after driving around to a dozen houses we had enough candy to last for only a couple days. The last two years in the city we have spent every Halloween at a party and did very little trick or treating.

So the kids put their foot down and said this year we are staying home in the hood and trick or treating. I sent them out last night for some "light" trick or treating after I thought that Brent and I had come to an understanding that we would just visit a few close neighbors. I was thinking they would be gone for about 10 minutes. They came home once to dump, and then finally two hours later they came home lugging the loot.

Our hood apparently is the place to be for Halloween. Whole candy bars, juice boxes, bags of chips, quarters, and tons of yummy little candy bars. I think the neighbors were a little surprised how gungho the future dentist is about trick or treating. I overheard him telling the lady next door,

"I'm just doing my best to clean up the neighborhood and get this stuff off the street."

Back home they all gathered for the annual candy trade and the dreaded candy tax. Daddy taxes them 10% every year for his chaperon services. The Dentist is just as addicted as the kids. I just sat there grossed out and panicking about my family's health, and frankly a little sick of Halloween. I need to be careful, because I am starting to sound like the Scrinch around here.

And I might as well just save myself the effort and not cook for two weeks. No one is going to be hungry. Especially Brent who walked up and slipped into his study shack with a grocery bag over half full.

6 comments:

Amber said...

I agree with you on all the candy - My kids have way too much now, we'll just have to hide it and ration it out over the next 6 MONTHS!!!

Chelsea said...

Love the posts Kashann. Looks like the party was a slam dunk.

Hilarious about the candy tax.

I like your kids homemade costumes. We never had a store bought costume.

Jacqui said...

I love the 10% tax for the chaperone service. You.Are.Hilarious!

Rachel said...

I totally agree about the candy during Halloween being over the top. I mean, I'm no health nut, but at the ward party the other night, I was thinking, "How many Halloween parties are all of these kids going to attend? Church, school, friends, trick-or-treating...no wonder the rate of childhood obesity in our country is soaring!" It gets a little disgusting! (Mind you, this thought did not stop me from pigging out on all the sweet delicacies!)

blindblogger said...

I read your stories about Brent and I see Dan in him in so many ways. This is classic.

brentandkashann said...

That makes me feel better, Ash, about my shameless exposes of Brent. If you admit on the ww web that he is just like your husband. I have a hard time going along with that mind you since you are living the suite life, while I am dwelling here in the hood, but whatever.